Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Thank You

Oh friends, I just cannot thank you enough. You have shown such wonderful support and given such great suggestions regarding my prayer requests for Roo last week. Thank you, thank you, thank you. For some reason I can't seem to reply to your comments, so I just wanted to give you all a mini-update.

First, his hair. We actually DID get his thyroid checked (along with a few other things). We are supposed to have this bloodwork done annually anyway, so with his hair loss it seemed like a good time. Fortunately everything came back perfect, although that still doesn't give us any answers on his hair loss. Our pediatrician also tested for ringworm, which came back negative. I am trying to start him on a multivitamin, but I haven't had much luck yet. (Have you tried the liquid vitamins? Yuck!) Also, it is the time of year when we go for all of Roo's annual appointments (cardiology, audiology, orthopedics, and maybe optometry), so we will likely add 2 more appointments into the mix--one to a dermatologist, and one to a Down syndrome clinic at our local Children's hospital. We are hopeful to get some answers through one of these avenues!

Second, walking. His progress is slow, but he IS progressing. Going to school has been a good thing for him. He is becoming more comfortable with using his walker. But he is so unbelievably stubborn and strong-willed. I have been completely taken off guard by this. After all, "everyone" knows that people with Down's are sweet and loving and friendly, etc, etc, etc, and I guess in my mind I thought that also meant "compliant." I was so, so wrong. So as with many things, I am not sure how much he lacks in ability and how much he lacks in desire. Oh this boy.

So thank you again. And please keep them coming! I am heading out of town for a few days, but can't wait to talk to you more when I get home!

No comments: