Thursday, April 25, 2013

Score One for Mommy

"Mommy, Mommy, MOMMY! Wait till you hear the GREAT NEWS!" Lamb burst through the door after school today.

She handed me a crumpled piece of paper that she had stuffed inside her jacket--apparently wanting to protect it from the rain but not necessarily from being wrinkled and crushed beyond recognition. I smoothed it out and read, "Congratulations! You have been selected as a chaperone for the 2nd grade's field trip to 'The Little Mermaid.'"

"Can you believe it?!?" Lamb cried out. "You get to come with me! Isn't this just SO EXCITING?!?"

Every parent knows what a mixed blessing this is. I love that I am home so that I can be involved in what they are doing. I love that she wants me to be involved in what she's doing. I love the chance to put faces with the names that I hear every day. I even love, if truth be told, the idea of taking her to see "The Little Mermaid." But I do not relish being one of 4 people (including her teacher) who is responsible for herding corraling guiding a class of 24 second graders on this cultural and educational experience. My mom was a teacher, my college roommates are all teachers, several of my friends are teachers, and there's a reason I didn't become one. Still, I knew that there was a decent chance I wouldn't be selected, and I am glad to have the opportunity to go with her.

"But do you know what's even BETTER?" she continued. "The best part isn't that you get to come with me. The BEST part is that my friends were all excited that you got picked beause you're so much fun!!!!!!!"

Now that is some of the highest praise this momma could imagine right now. This same mom who wonders if she's doing anything right, if my children will be talking about me in therapy one day, if I will ever find the stage of motherhood that is my forte... I'm the one the kids are excited to have along. My daughter is proud to have me be with her.

Score.

No comments: