Tuesday, September 28, 2010

LOL/LOL: Getting to Know You

Greetings, friends! Did you think I’d dropped off the face of the earth? Not exactly, but I have been away from the computer for a bit. I am writing to you today from the Outer Banks of North Carolina! YAY for vacation!!! (Boo for crummy weather, but that is completely secondary to the fact that my whole family is together for a whole week! :-) ) I also have very limited internet access, so after this post, you likely won’t hear from me again until next week.

Last week I introduced you to a new blogging series I’m doing with a friend called Lots of Littles/Lots of Laughs. You can read more about it here. Today we’re doing another round of introduction-y questions. As with last week, please play along! Leave your answers in a comment or post them on your blog and put a link in the comments. And don’t forget to check out Jamey’s answers at Zehlahlum Family when you’re done here.

1. How’d you meet your husband?
Oh, this is a story. Sit back and grab a cup of coffee. On second thought, I’m on vacation and want to get back to family time, so I’ll give you the abbreviated version. But someday I’m going to write it all down. The first time my hubby and I met was at my aunt’s house. My cousin was dating a friend of his, and he had come to my aunt’s to swim. He didn’t even know I was alive, though… since he was 17 and I was 12. So I just harbored a big crush on him all through high school. Then I went to college and didn’t think much about him… until my junior year, when another cousin of mine was working for him. I came home for Christmas break and took her out to lunch, and he came along. Suddenly the 5-year age difference didn’t seem so huge, now that I was 20 and he was 25. The next week, the three of us had lunch again, and that cute guy and I exchanged e-mail addresses so we could keep in touch when I left for school later that week. We had our first date at the end of January, got engaged in May, and got married the following February. And it’s been almost 10 years of wedded bliss! :-)

2. How/why did you start blogging?
I have a two-part answer to this one, because nothing is simple with me. :-) This is actually my second blog. I started my first blog a few years ago. I love to write, I was working on a few articles for publication, and a blog seemed like a good fit. Shortly after I started it, I also had the chance to meet my biological father, and I decided I wanted to chronicle my adoption story, so I told it there (in much the same way that I told Roo’s story here). I abandoned that blog around the time that I got pregnant with Roo, mainly because I had finished my adoption story and the depression I was struggling with made me feel like the well had run dry.

Fast forward about… oh, say… 9 months. I had been turning over the idea of taking up my old blog again, to get my creative juices flowing and of course to share my adorable children with the world. And then in June my sweet Roo was diagnosed with Down syndrome. As hard as it all was, a blog seemed like a good way to record it all for myself, to share the news and story behind it with friends I don’t see often, and I hope to help others going through similar situations. But for some reason, I felt like it merited a new blog, a fresh start. So here I am! :-)

3. What are your three favorite blogs/web sites?
Can I say Facebook, Facebook, and Facebook? No? OK, then…

Honestly, most of the blogs I read are written by people I know, not the “big” ones that are so popular. I mean, I enjoy Pioneer Woman as much as the next girl, but I can’t honestly say I read her on a regular basis. My three favorite blogs that I actually read are Zehlahlum Family of course, Bring the Rain, and Enjoying the Small Things.  Now that I look at that, only one of those is by someone that I actually know, but... whatever.

My three favorite non-blog web sites are Facebook, Amazon, and Allrecipes.com.

4. What are your three favorite things to do with your kids?
I absolutely love cooking with my kids. Monkey especially enjoys helping me in the kitchen. They like to help measure, mix, gather ingredients, plan meals & desserts, everything. We have lots of fun.

I also enjoy reading with my kids. They love books of all shapes and sizes.

And… hmmmm… I guess my third favorite thing to do with my kids is crafting. This is where Lamb really shines—she is the craftiest little 5-year-old I have ever met, and the happiness she gets from it makes every ounce of effort worthwhile.

5. What are your three least favorite things to do with your kids?

I hate trying to get my kids to clean up their room. No matter how small the mess, Monkey absolutely melts down when I even hint that a clean-up might be in order. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to make it less intimidating for him and less stressful to me.

Bathtime. I know, it should be lots of fun. The kids enjoy it, they behave well, and they are contained. But I hate it. My wonderful hubby works lots and lots of hours, which often leaves me feeling like a single mom at bedtime, and baths have really become a chore for me. I’m working on my attitude about it. 

Getting out the door in the morning. My kids are actually pretty early risers, but it seems like every morning something comes up to keep us from getting in the van and going. I am so thrilled to be on vacation now (Did I forget to mention I’m writing this poolside? How awesome is that???) and have a whole week where I don’t have to say, “You need to hurry up, honey” or “We’re waiting on you” or “No more. Get in the van NOW.”

6. What are three things you’d like to do with your kids that you haven’t yet?
Let’s start with a small one. There are several “drive-through” wild animal parks around us, and I really want to go to one!

Disneyworld. Yep, my mother-in-law and I did Disneyland with Monkey & Lamb, but I’d love to just spend a week at Walt Disney’s Florida experience.

Europe. Jon and I spent three weeks there before we had kids, and I cannot wait until they’re a little older and we can take them to experience the culture, sites, and food across the Atlantic.

Alright friends, that’s all for me. I am excited to spend more time with you soon, but right now I have some relaxing and some quality family time to attend to. Have a great week!

No comments: