Friday, November 30, 2012

Belated Thanksgiving

It has been quite a week or so here at the zoo. While many of the events over the last 7-10 days are not what I would have planned, I truly am thankful in so many ways. Let me explain...

  • I am thankful that Lamb only missed two days of school since she was sick on a holiday week, even though she ran a fever of 101 or higher (up to 103.8) for 7 days straight.
  • I am thankful that we got to spend a quiet Thanksgiving together as a family of five, even though it meant missing Thanksgiving with my parents, my brothers and their families, and the rest of my side.
  • I am thankful for my mom, who set aside portions of the entire Thanksgiving meal, so that my family could enjoy a Thanksgiving feast despite the fact that we had to stay home and miss the festivities.
  • I am thankful for my husband, who picked up our Thanksgiving dinner from my parents' house and who took time off  of work to help me with sick kiddos--and helped when I got sick, too.
  • I am thankful for a great team in my moms' group, who stepped in at the last minute and handled our meeting this week, when I couldn't come (again) because of a sick kiddo (again).
  • I am thankful for modern medicine, on which my family has relied heavily this week. Lamb, Roo, and I have all been in for appointments, and my dad was in the hospital earlier this week too.
  • I am thankful for my friends, those who have been listening to me vent about germs and who have helped me work through some of the other issues and decisions I'm facing right now.
  • And more than anything, this week I am THANKFUL to have my dad with us, after he suffered a heart attack on Monday afternoon. I am incredibly thankful that it was minor, that he had the surgery he needed to have, and that he is home and taking it easy (supposedly). And I am hopeful to have him around for many Thanksgivings to come.
Happy (belated) Thankgiving. We are so incredibly blessed--sometimes we just don't realize how much so until we are challenaged a bit.

No comments: