Saturday, August 4, 2012

Change of plans

Today was supposed to be a hold-on-to-your-hats, get-out-of-the-house, on-the-go, soak-up-some-summer-fun kind of day. Instead, it's a wear-PJs-till-noon, watch-Phineas-&-Ferb, hang-out-at-home kind of day. Lamb and Roo are still a bit under the weather, and this week has been insanely busy, a mixture of fun (like a sleepover for all of the cousins at Nana & Papa's) and the hectic (two trips to two different hospitals in two days). The kids needed a day of rest. They didn't exactly say that, but I could see it in their eyes. So rest we shall. Right now the boys are taking naps (although I'm sure that Monkey isn't sleeping), Lamb is reading James and the Giant Peach, and I am enjoying some quiet writing time.

Today is awesome.

AND my kitchen is clean. AND my living room is clean. AND my bedroom is clean. AND I have folded three loads of laundry. Those are all things I typically try to do when I'm home for the day, but today it feels like a complete BONUS because I had planned to be gone. It is a GREAT feeling to be ahead of the game!

Maybe I'm onto something here... Maybe from now on, I just need to make elaborate plans in my head*, then cancel them at the last minute and stay home and do housework. Then I'll always get more done than I had planned, and I'll always feel good about my productivity! And if I go ahead with my plans instead of cancelling them, I'll feel good because I was out having fun! It's a win-win!

I'm testing this theory.

*Note to self: Do not verbalize these plans or share them in any way with the children. Otherwise, cancelling them could have disastrous consequences.

No comments: