Monday, May 9, 2011

Before & After

It has been one week since our visit with the nutritionist, and Roo has been eating us out of house & home ever since.  While the doctor we had seen before had emphasized increasing Roo's formula/milk intake (which didn't work at all) and adding empty calories to the food he was already eating (which I didn't like), the nutritionist put more importance on the overall balance of Roo's diet and increasing calories in ways that I thought made more sense.  (She also said that Roo's dairy intake should be about what the doctor recommended, but that about half of it could easily come from yogurt, cheese, etc.)

So here's a little before & after look into Roo's diet:

Drinking:
Before -- 12-16 ounces of formula, mixed to 24 calories
After -- 12-16 ounces, a mixture of toddler formula mixed to 24 calories and whole milk

Breakfast:
Before -- Baby cereal mixed with fruit, a total of 4 oz
After
  • 4 oz of baby cereal (mixed with about 2 ounces of whole milk)
  • 4 ounces of applesauce
  • 1 scrambled egg, mixed with whole milk and shredded cheese
Lunch:
Before -- 1 jar of baby food, fruit or vegetable
After
  • 1-2 jars of baby food
  • Several bites of a banana or a cooked veggie
  • An ounce or two of whatever meat we're having (chicken, ham, tuna, etc)
  • 1/2 - 1 container of yogurt
Dinner:
Before -- 2 jars of baby food (one fruit, one veggie)
After
  • Remember lunch?  Repeat that, but add to it.
Yeah, I'd say he has increased his caloric intake, wouldn't you?!?  So I decided to do a very scientific experiment... I got on the scale with Roo and then subtracted my weight.  And wouldn't you know it... He weighs SIXTY-FIVE POUNDS now!!!!  Can you believe it?!?  Oh wait... I subtracted what I want my weight to be, not my actual weight.  Let's try that again...

OK, so he actually weighs over 17 pounds now (No doing the math in your head, please.  My current diet plan is to eat nothing but mangos & rice for two weeks in Mozambique... and sweat the rest of the weight off during that time as well...)--which is a gain of more than 1/2 pound in the last WEEK.  And since roughly December, he had been gaining 1/2 - 1 pound per MONTH.  Now that's what I call progress!

And for your viewing pleasure, a few shots of my & my babies on Mother's Day...






No comments: